Monday 8 September 2014

Mud glorious mud


ROI and Friends at Brancaster Staithe Saturday 6 September


A day painting with ROI members Brian Ryder and Andrew King at Brancaster Staithe on the North Norfolk coast was a great introduction to the area for me on Saturday, and well worth the journey.

Having lived in Northumberland near the coast for 30 years I imagined having to battle with the wind on this bit of exposed coast but the day was strangely still and mild.  I like painting organic subjects that let my brush free, and you can't get more organic than mud!!  I had a great time chasing the subtle pinks and greys of the reflected light, as you can see by my two small paintings, and listening to the evocative cry of curlews while working, reminding  me of the wild Cheviots, and drawing away my imagination into the distance of the estuary.

Thanks to Brian for identifying problems before rather than after the event, and to Andrew who agreed with me that it made a pleasant change not to have obviously sunny paintings. 'This is much more interesting light', he announced,  'we can do subtle' !

Thanks guys!














No comments:

Post a Comment